I enjoyed reading about the GI Bill. I think it is great how the veterans were given a chance to attend college and a way to find jobs, etc. The postwar experience of a World War II soldier was different from those of World War I and past wars for that matter. The government made sure the veterans had what they needed, giving so many opportunities and so much money to all the veterans who needed assistance. I think it was interesting how WW II had the most soldiers who survived after being wounded. It was a change from WW I, where soldiers would come home with diseases. It was interesting reading about the advancements in medicine and comparing them to what is used today. 

I enjoyed reading about the veterans attending school. It was great to see the government taking the initiative to give the veterans an education. i think sometimes education is overlooked in our society today but after WW II, it was very important. I agree with the book in that by the veterans attending college, they were able to assimilate into civilian life more easily. I was actually amazed at the number of veterans that attended college. The book said, “When the 1947 school year started, there were 1.1 million veterans enrolled in college courses – 49 percent of all students.” (Page 69) Almost half of the college population¬†consisted¬†of veterans. The veterans who returned to college were not the same people who had attended college pre-war. The pre-war students found college to be a more social endeavor with a bit of academics intermixed. The veterans wanted college to be a more academic experience rather than social, the complete opposite. I was glad to read that the veterans were not only able to attend college but were able to find jobs. After past wars, finding jobs for veterans had been a struggle but after WW II, the veterans were jumping into civilian life quite quickly. The book talked about how some veterans chose not to assimilate into society. It was interesting to read how they sought out other veterans to cope with their problems. This is completely understandable because these veterans understood one another, better than anyone else could.