When i first began looking for someone to interview, I wasn’t sure who I would interview, since I did not know any veterans. I found Professor Curley through the university. It was awkward at first because I was interviewing someone I did not know at all. I was not sure how sensitive he would be or how comfortable he would be talking about his war experiences. When I asked him questions, he answered thoroughly making sure I knew every part of his experience. It was so interesting. He was a lieutenant commander of a naval ship. He went to the Naval Academy and then when he graduated, he was stationed on a naval ship. They did not go directly to Vietnam but were mostly in the Pacific. He performed many duties such as officer of the deck, wehre he navigated the ship. He also was a helicopter landing officer. When he was stationed on a ship near Saigon, he was a market time analyst. For this job, Lieutenant Commander Curley was a part of an operation to stop infiltration of the Vietnamese from the sea, to stop patrols from the sea, to develop aircraft search patrols, and prevent infiltration of troops and supplies. While he was never directly involved in combat, there was one time where Curley and his fellow soldiers were attempting to disarm radar sitese and were shot at. He said that was teh “only scary moment” during his tour. At the end of the war, Curley remained in the navy, making it a career. He received numerous honors such as a Bronze Star and numerous service medals. Also, he attended graduated school with the help of his GI Bill and also received his 2nd masters and doctorate degrees. Curley never joined a veterans organization because he felt it was a waste of time to join a group that would “sit around and drink beer all day.” He said if a group did something worthwhile for current soldiers and veterans, he would join. Of course Professor Curley still thinks about the war, and says he becomes emotional when it is talked about. When he visits the Vietnam Wall, he becomes emotional. I thought it was interesting that Curley thought the war was needed. Most veterans would disagree, but he believed that someone must defend the country and our allies and sometimes war is inevitable. Interviewing Professor Curley was so enlightening and really helped me understand what veterans really went through.